For some reason I’ve never written an XSLT against a XML file that used namespaces, up to yesterday. I have a bit of a headache too, and here’s what I found (thanks to Michael Kay). A sample of the XML looks like:
<MITS:Identification Type=”market rate apt” xmlns:MITS=”http://my-company.com/namespace”>
I needed to create an XSL value statement to extract the PrimaryID value. The MITS namespace is obviously a made up address, so I declared a MITS namespace in my XSL with a made up address of “www.bla.com”. I couldn’t get the xsl to work no matter what I tried! I was ignorant about how the xsl engine handles namespaces. The namespace actually acts as a constant, so the values have to match in both files! So I had something that translated like <http: //my-company.com/namespace:PrimaryID> and I was searching for <http: //www.bla.com:PrimaryID>. Makes sense now why I couldn’t get the XSL to work.